The History Behind the 100 Year Legacy
Sarns Machine was founded in 1904 by Maurice A.
Sarns in Mt. Clemens, MI on the banks of the
Clinton River. The original facility used water
power to turn the drive shaft that (using belts)
powered all the machinery in the building. Sarns
designed and completely built early internal
combustion engines (one to four cylinders). All
components and patterns were made in house
including crankshafts, pistons, rings, etc.
Steam and gas engines were also serviced and
By the 1950ís Sarns was doing large machining
and hydraulic repairs for McLouth Steel. In the
1960ís the business expanded to Rouge and Great
Lakes Steel, as well as detail work for the
automotive companies and their suppliers.
In early 1992, the company was purchased by the
current ownership, adding design and build of
special machines and fixtures to the product